Thursday, May 6, 2010

Derry, County Londonderry, UK

Derry the land that my people came from. Well minus the whole German side. :P

Tomorrow my class is going to Derry for the day, but for those who wanted to can stay the night. I am going to be one of those overnight people. I think I'm the only one as far as I know.

When we studied The Troubles in class they left me with a weight on my shoulders I have yet been able to lift off. I'm hoping that being there on my own for a little will help me come to terms with how I feel about it. I mean I'm going to the place where Bloody Sunday happened. I think that this will be the hardest part of my trip for me.

I've known about Bloody Sunday for the longest time. My mom used to play Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 since I was a wee lass. She explained what had happened so that I knew what the lyrics I sang meant. I think what happened there was brutal and unforgiving. I wasn't even there and it I'm pissed that this ever happened.

I am excited yet still very timid to go to Derry. I don't want to scare anyone! I promise I will be safe! They still have random car bombs go off in Derry, however for the most part it is extremely safe. I just don't want to go on the random day and get screwed over.

Many pictures will come from this trip and many tears. Another blog post will soon follow this trip as well!!!

No comments: