Friday, April 9, 2010

Breath Taking Beauty!

Today I can't even to begin to describe what I have gone and see the last two days here. I have traveled to two places that will have hit my core in very different ways. To being in utter awe and disbelief that I am where I am, to almost crying for the pain and loss a country has gone through.

You are probably wondering as to where I would have traveled. Well, yesterday I went to Kilmainham Gaol (kind of pronouced Kill-a-man Jail) and then today I went to The Hill of Tara in County Meath.

Please with this blog go look at the picture; they are currently uploading. I can give you some perspective on it, but being able to see it will help.

A little bit of history:

Kilmainham Gaol was one of the main jails in Ireland along with Mountjoy Jail on the other side of the city. It is currently a museum and a national sight. Some of its famous inmates include all 14 leaders on the April 1916 Easter Sunday Uprising, Eamon De Velera, and Mrs. Joseph Plunkett ( .. Grace Gifford). Among these inmates they had the jail overcome during the famine era when even a eight year old girl can get arrested for stealing a cloak to keep her warm, or how three young boys got arrested for stealing four loaves of bread.

*There will be more history to go with the pictures of the Gaol.

While there I could believe that I walked the same path as many famous people. I mean famous to me, I mean I don't know if you know who Padraigh Pearse was. If you do awesome if you don't he was the main leader of the Easter Rebellion of 1916. He as well as the other thirteen were excuted at the Gaol not about a month later. One of the members James Connolly was too injured from the actuall fighting that he could not be excuted standing up. So they straped him to a kitchen chair and shot him that way. I grabbed a stone from where he was shot, because he was shot on the opposite side of the inclosed area. I hope my mom will make it into a necklace for me.

They had a firing squad of eight and seven of these guards were given blanks. They didn't know who had the actual bullet that would have killed the person. That way not one of the guards could say that they killed anyone.

Then for today I went to the Hill of Tara which if you have seen the video yet you will know I was uber stoked for this. The HoT was the place where the oldest (not by age but by what year he ruled) oldest king of Ireland ruled. It is also the place where I lot of Irish Folklore took place. From the top of the Hill you can see almost all of Ireland. It was so breathtaking to be up there. I felt so happy to be alive to experience and it was one of those times when you feel that the world is so vast and you are so tiny.

Then that tour went over to Newgrange which is one of the worlds oldest standing structures. I thought this was cool but not as cool as the Hill. I was able to go into the passage tomb but they tried to shove like 20 of us in there at once. It really put a damper on how awesome it should have been.

I will say it was really nice to get out of the city for the day. I saw a lot of Irish Farm animals!!! Lots of little lambs scamping about D: So adorable. Mom can we get a lamb?! I promise Ill take care of it! It was also really nice to be able to breath fresh country air, opposed to the smoke filled air of Dublin.

Well it is almost eleven and I doth protest that it is time for some shut eye. Please keep an eye out for the videos and the pictures.

1 comment:

Sean Williams said...

The Irish have a word for what lambs do when they leap straight into the air: pinging! So when you see lambs ping, it's so relentlessly cheery that it makes you want to leap into the air too. :)