Thursday, April 1, 2010

DUBLIN DOS!


Hey everyone!!!

So today was my second day in Dublin! Twas a grand day! So many things happened!!!

First, I was supposed to walk with Kdawg to the bus she was taking. I over slept my alarm and boy was that fun. I got ready in five minutes anyway. We walked part way to her bus and there I said goodbye to her for a few days. She will be back in Dublin soon! So I headed back to the hostel to oversleep my second alarm!! HELL YES!!! It’s what I do. I missed the breakfast my hostel serves so I decided to head out on my secret mission!

DUH DUH DUNNNNNNNNA…!!!

I went to Starbucks… What, are you complaining? SUE ME THEN! Haha please don’t I can afford it. I went and Ill tell you what it was more expensive than a pint! The coffee wasn’t great either! Not that I expected much anyway. On the way to Starbucks I saw the famine Memorial from across the street. Right then and there I got a huge lump in my throat. After I left from getting coffee I walked across the street to see it up close. As soon as it came into view I started to cry. Bawl is more like it. During class this was a huge hurdle for me to jump. Learning about the famine I mean. I had heard about this memorial from Sean but once you see things in person it is completely different. I don’t think I can put it to words all the emotions I felt. The statues were all rusted which in retrospect made it more depressing. Just like in the famine no one took care of these people. Today no one takes care of the statues they just let them rust. You could say that is how the poor Irish were treated. They just let them rust. I heard a man that was walking by say “poor lass” under his breath and I looked his direction, he was looking at me. The one thing that sent me over the edge was when I went and held the hand of the dying child upon his fathers shoulders. For those of you who don’t know I had very vivid dreams about children in the famine era. It was a harsh time for me and I can look back now and say I’ve seen it. To even type about it now makes me want to cry because those emotions are still that strong!

After that I walked over to Trinity College to go see the Book of Kells. I walked around the campus and stared at all the lovely buildings. Gorgeous campus! I got to the lobby where you can see the book and I realized that I didn’t have my wallet on me! Surprisingly for losing my wallet I was really calm. I paid my way to go see the book and it was beyond beautiful. To think that scribes sat there for hours on end writing that is phenomenal! That was cool but what was cooler is the upstairs. It leads to the old library!!!! As a librarian and lover of books!! OMG!!! I was in heaven. I would have given my left arm to touch/ read one of those books! They also had Synges typewriter up there and one of the plays he wrote using that. :D

As soon as I left Trinity I retraced my steps to find my wallet. Back to the star bucks I headed. This meant walking past the famine memorial again! I turned away and focused my attention to something else. Got to Starbucks and it was under the booth that I sat at that morning! WHEW!!

Headed back to the hostel where I relaxed for a bit. Haley from class popped online and we agreed to meet together for dinner and shopping. I tried to meet her at Penneys… but there were two Penneys… OOOPPPS… However there are awesome things about Penneys. Outside when I was waiting for her I just kind of said under my breath “Where the frack are you Haley?!” and a guy looked at me, gave me the up and down. Then winked at me and he was so handsome… Okay HOOOOOOTTTT!!! There is one ways to boost my ego. :D Another thing about Penneys is that everything is super cheap even after converted to US. I got an awesome Jacket, sweatshirt, shirt, bra, underwear and two scarves for about 40 Euro. GOOD DEALS had by all!!!

I met up with Haley for dinner at the Temple bar and it was packed. There was a Barcelona and Arsenal game going on. So everywhere was packed. We found a nice Protestant pub near my hostel… I know it was a protestant pub because of the Whiskey they served. I had the fish and chips and it was delicious! On the way there Haley and I were whistled at and they guys tried to pretend it wasn’t them. Another EGO BOOST!!!

We had dinner and then headed to a pub to listen to Irish Music! After failing other pubs because they were playing American music. The band at the pub was just a bunch of local musicians that were a hoot in a half. The singer asked us where we were from and we said Seattle. He said like Jimi Hendrix and we said yes. Through out the entire night we had fun conversing with the band and we all night were the Washington girls! Oh I forgot to mention the best part… How I was cheated by the VendaScent. It was like a vending machine for perfume. They had a scent the smelled like Opium and Haley said that I should try that one! So I put in 50c and the thing didn’t squirt! I was cheated by the VendaScent. It is a catch phrase, learn to use it well. We ended up looking at the machine it wasn’t even connected to the wall on one side… Aka broken but we found an extra 70c in it! So hey we cheated it! Today was a success and a blast… Tomorrow has fun adventures in store… But for right now it’s late and I want sleep! Night Yall!

1 comment:

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Sounds like a blast honey, I'm sure it was very hard to look at that memorial and the rusted condition...I know how you struggle just getting through that section in you class this year...

Hey attracking the goodlooking lads already...We all need a good ego boost...Send me a picture I will post it on my desk top...hehe